Every once in a while I get the chance to putter around on Pinterest and I often come across pins like this:
And I wonder, is this for real? Do these 10 foods really fight belly fat?
I mean, there is really no accountability when it comes to pinning something, anyone can pin anything and no one checks to see if what you are saying is legit.
Well, in this case, it’s true, these 10 foods DO help fight belly fat.
These foods are all Abs Diet Powerfoods – they do one or more of the following: help build muscle, strengthen bone, fight cancer, improve immune function, decrease blood pressure, fight disease, and/or promote weight loss. (source)
Here’s the skinny on these ten belly fat burning foods…
1. Oatmeal – this high fiber cereal gives you an energy boost, helps maintain blood sugar levels, and is filling enough to hold you over until lunchtime, which means no mid-morning bagel or donut! Choose plain oatmeal over the flavored options as they are loaded with sugar and add fresh berries or a little honey to jazz it up. Or, try this recipe for overnight oats, super easy and delicious!
2. Nuts – high in fiber and monounsaturated (good) fats, a handful of nuts helps clear your arteries and makes you feel fuller longer. Enjoy your nuts with a glass of water and they are sure to suppress your appetite! Be sure to avoid salted nuts as too much sodium raises blood pressure. Click here to find out which 5 nuts you should be adding to your diet.
3. Olive Oil – loaded with antioxidants and monounsaturated fats, olive oil helps control food cravings and burns fat.
4. Eggs – this high quality protein source helps build muscle and contains Vitamin B12 which is necessary for fat breakdown. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, eggs are great anytime!
5. Whey Protein – this high quality, animal protein, contains essential amino acids that help build muscle and burn fat. Add it to your morning smoothie and make it your most fat burning meal of the day! Click here for some delicious protein smoothie recipes!
6. Berries – high in soluble fibre, berries are a great low calorie way to satisfy your hunger and keep you feeling full. Be sure to eat your berries in their natural form (fresh or frozen) as opposed to in jams or jellies to avoid the added sugar.
7. Lean Meats – turkey, chicken, fish and lean beef provide the body with lots of energy and aid in muscle building. Did you know that it takes more energy to digest proteins than it does to digest carbs and fats? Yep, it’s true! But, be sure to choose lean cuts of beef, and avoid fatty meats like sausages and processed meats like bacon.
8. Whole Grains – eating whole grains, such as whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta and brown rice, help keep insulin levels low and prevent you from storing fat.
9. Peanut Butter – natural, that is…no sugar added, unprocessed, just crushed up peanuts…is packed with monounsaturated fat that helps our muscles grow and our bodies burn fat.
10. Green Veggies – spinach, broccoli and asparagus are loaded with fiber and contain very few calories. Why not start your day with a Green Smoothie? Click here for some great Green Smoothie Recipes.
So the idea behind the Abs Diet is to incorporate as many of these Powerfoods into your diet each day as you can. Not only do these 10 foods promote fat loss and muscle growth, but they also have many other benefits such as decreasing your risk of heart disease and lowering blood pressure. Interested in learning more, click here to go to the Abs Diet site.
Check back next week for another installment of Friday Foodbytes!