Well, today is day 11 of our Healthy Lifestyle Challenge – how are you doing? Have you completed the 10 daily challenges and two weekly challenges so far? How did you make out? Have any of the behavours stuck? Which have been your favourite? Least favourite?
Some of my favourites have been
- Going to bed a half hour early
- Rewarding myself with
a glasstwo glasses of wine; and
- Catching up with an old friend
TODAY’S CHALLENGE is:
Eliminate any sugar from your diet today. That means no refined sugars, no natural sweeteners and no artificial sweeteners. Naturally occuring sugars in friuts and vegetables are okay, but try to choose low sugar options.
1. Avoid refined sugars – white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup.
2. Avoid any foods with added sugars. Sweets and candies are for sure out, but you might be surprised to learn all the other names you may find on ingredients lists used to describe sugar.
3. Avoid any foods with natural or artifical sweeteners and sugar alcohols– here is a list of some common ones:
|Natural Sweetners||Arificial Sweetners||Sugar Alcohols|
4. Limit the amount of naturally occurring sugars. Berries are your best bet, bananas and grapes, not so much! For a more complete list of low, low-medium and high sugar fruits, click here.
This one is sure to be a challenge for me. I’ve got my sugar free snacks all set for the day – a hard boiled egg, 1/4 cup mixed nuts, a couple pieces of cheese and veggies with hummus! Yummo!
Good luck, and let me know how it goes!